Naomichi Marufuji celebrated his 20th anniversary in wrestling today. A special anniversary show was held today and Marufuji wrestled his former partner KENTA, also known as Hideo Itami.

Before the match, Marufuji admitted he felt some jealousy in 2014 when Itami left for WWE.

“(Itami) and I are on different paths,” Marufuji said to Japanese media recently. “I did feel some jealousy when he went to America because I had decided that I had to do it ‘here.’ I don’t want it to be lost in the meaning of his going to America, I have been thinking about that. Because of the excitement, I want to show content that matches it, and above all the ‘results.'”

Marufuji would continue to speak on his former partner and rival. “He will not give up, and I want to take advantage of my ability to win,” Marufuji continued. “I think he is thinking many things, especially about the reaction of the fans when he was displayed on the monitor at Korakuen. I think that was the most and best ‘real.’ I want him to have an explosion like that at the venue. Everyone had hoped for him, and that was the proof.”

Earlier this year, it was revealed WWE was allowing the cruiserweight to perform on the show.

In 2003, both Tokyo Sports and the Wrestling Observer Newsletter named KENTA and Naomichi Marufuji as the top tag-team in the world. The Wrestling Observer would give them the honor in 2004 as well. In 2006, Tokyo Sports would award them the “Match of the Year” for a match they had against each other.

By 2014, each had established themselves as a top guy in Pro Wrestling NOAH. KENTA was looking to do something else with his career, however. He signed with WWE, reported to the Performance Center, and adopted the name of Hideo Itami.