Hiroshi Tanahashi will be putting his Wrestle Kingdom title match in jeopardy on Sunday September 23rd. The ‘Ace’ of New Japan will step in the ring with Kazuchika Okada in an IWGP January 4th Challenge Rights match for the Destruction in Kobe show.

Traditionally the winner of the G1 tournament is expected to defend his title shot. Well, the G1 winner should defend against the competitors who beat him during the tournament. Interestingly Tanahashi announced that he would defend the rights against Okada even though their epic bout went to a time limit draw during this year’s G1.

Tanahashi spoke on camera following his bout at the ‘Road To’ event last night. The ‘Ace’ stated that “I know Okada far too well. Please show me the part of you that I’ve never seen before. But..just winning is not enough, because I’ve already lost and drew to him. It won’t satisfy me. Then what should I do? I’m looking for something more.”

Kazuchika Okada also appeared in a backstage interview segment, the former IWGP Heavyweight made the following comments:

“It’s obvious isn’t it? Tokyo Dome and the IWGP Title…they need me. The answer is there. That’s why Tanahashi wants to beat me isn’t it? He needs to beat me in order to get to the Tokyo Dome. You’re being naive aren’t you? But the IWGP Title…The main event at Tokyo Dome is not your place. Well…we’re just getting started. There will be more preview matches. I will get everything out of Tanahashi and I will finish him in Kobe.”

Check out the full video below: