Former WWE Superstar MVP was recently interviewed by The Mirror to talk about several professional wrestling topics. Initially, MVP believed he would retire from wrestling at the age of 45.

Just a few weeks away from his 45th birthday, however, MVP’s tune has changed. He still feels great at his age and has decided to hang around for a few more years:

“I’m at a point in my career where I am ready to transition. I always said that I was going to retire at 45, and I’ll be 45 in October. I decided that I still look and feel pretty good, so I’m going to hang around for a couple more years, but I know that my actual in-ring career is coming to a close.

“I’m ready to move into the next phase of my career, which would be motivational speaking. I know that my life story is an inspirational one and one that can, hopefully, help others achieve goals in their own lives.”

MVP worked with WWE from 2005 to 2010. During his time with the company, he won two United States titles and a Tag Team Title reign with Matt Hardy. MVP says he looks back on his time with WWE with pride:

“Sure, absolutely. I think about that young kid who grew up in Florida with a single mom and in poverty, essentially. I made some bad decisions and was able to overcome that because Vince McMahon gave me an opportunity.

“Society said ‘You’re an ex-convict, we’ll give you a minimum wage job,’ but Vince said ‘Hey, you’re talented, let’s give you an opportunity.’ I was able to travel the world as one of WWE’s top talents.

“I was able to take people that I watched on television with awe and make them my peers and my colleagues, and I was a two-time United States Champion and a Tag Team Champion. So I look back and go ‘Wow – I’m in the history books!'”