After having a successful stint in NXT that included a run as an NXT Tag Team Champion, Buddy Murphy reinvented himself when placed on the 205 Live brand that features all cruiserweight stars.

Murphy spoke with news.com.au to talk about various topics including his decision to pitch himself as a cruiserweight wrestler to WWE officials. He pointed out that after having some success in NXT, he found himself lurking in the shadows and not really doing much, which led to him making the decision to create an opportunity. Thus, this led to him dropping 25 pounds and got an opportunity where he went to try to create a brand.

“I always watched 205 Live on the sidelines. It’s more my style, I like the quick and innovative moves. I just thought the brand was going to thrive and I wanted to be a part of it. I pitched the move [to WWE] and I kind of took it upon myself. When I first said it they said no, but I dropped the weight myself and gave them no excuse.”

Murphy is slated to challenge Cedric Alexander for the Cruiserweight Title at the WWE Super Show-Down event. When asked about it, he stated that wrestling in front of his home city is the equivalent of WrestleMania for him as it doesn’t get much better than that.