WWE Hall Of Famer Sting was recently a guest on the Apter Chat podcast.

During the interview, Sting revealed where he got the idea for the Scorpion Deathlock. Apparently, Sting got the inspiration from a wrestling by the name of Riki Choshu at a Japanese show:

“I was fortunate enough in those early days, while I was still with Bill Watts, (Giant) Baba from Japan wanted me to come do a show,” Sting said.

“Bill sent me to Japan and there was a wrestler named Riki Choshu. He used that hold and I went ‘oh, I like that’ and so then the scorpion kinda popped in all at the same time and attempting to brand myself.”

The former WCW World Heavyweight Champion then discussed the demise of WCW. He was one of the key characters in the promotion’s legacy. When WCW finally came to an end and was bought out by WWE, Sting said it felt “surreal”:

“It was shocking, it was surreal,” Sting said. “It was emotional because it was a lot of years of a lot of sacrifice. Fighting tooth and nail to not be the second class wrestling organization, but to finally evolve into the number one wrestling organization in the world.

“To be that first class wrestling organization. A global machine. And to just watch it slip through your fingers and be gone and totally out of your control, I always said it was like the enemy coming into your camp and having their way.”