Former NXT North American Champion, Adam Cole, was a guest on the most recent edition of Edge and Christian’s podcast. He mentioned he plans on being NXT Champion within the next 3 months and spoke about why it was the right time for him to sign with WWE.

“When I started coming in for dark matches, they told me I was doing a good job but nothing was really materializing,” Cole said on his beginnings in ROH. “I said, ‘Okay, this isn’t working.'”

Cole realized he wasn’t going to be able to rely on good in-ring work alone. He continued to say it was his promos which got him hired by Ring of Honor.

“I sent Adam Pierce, who at the time was booking ROH, a promo and he really liked it,” he continued. “He booked me for a pre-show promo in the ring as opposed to a match. Jim Cornette happened to be walking by and he really liked the promo. That’s how I ended up getting hired.”

When Cole signed with WWE in 2017, he was a key member of Bullet Club and wrestling in ROH main events. Still, WWE is where Cole has always wanted to go.

“Obviously breaking into wrestling my goal was always to work for WWE,” Cole continued. “I grew up a giant fan and when I broke in I fell in love with wrestling as a whole. I loved my time on the independents but the end game for sure was ending at WWE. It was a good time for me to go, I was hitting a stride in Ring Of Honor so I thought this is a good chance. I had known there was some interest so when my contract expired we came to an agreement for me to start at NXT.”