Legendary British wrestler, Doug Williams, has announced his retirement from professional wrestling. The 46-year-old’s career came to an end earlier today at Progress’ Hello Wembley show. Williams put his career on the line in a match against Trent Seven for the Atlas Championship and lost.

Williams spoke with the SportBible earlier this week about the upcoming retirement match.

“It was more their decision than mine,” Williams said. “They approached me with doing a different kind of storyline, which was a disgruntled veteran that was bitter about the new guys taking over. But I switched it on them and said I’m thinking about retiring next year anyway, why don’t we do a storyline that could culminate in that possibly happening?”

Williams started working as a teenager in the 90s with NWA UK Hammerlock. He was then a member of the Ring of Honor roster started their first year in 2002. He would remain with the promotion until 2007.

By 2009, he had already appeared with Impact Wrestling a few times. The promotion would then make the UK a bigger priority and Williams was cast in the British Invasion faction.

Earlier this month, Williams had a chance to earn an NWA World Heavyweight Championship match against Cody but lost to Nick Aldis.