There have been numerous rumors for weeks now regarding the status of commentator Don Callis for New Japan Pro Wrestling, with Meltzer having previously said that “[Callis] is likely done as an announcer with NJPW.”

Apparently, Callis wasn’t called for the King Of Pro Wrestling show which went down on October 8th. Additionally, he hasn’t been contacted about working any future dates for the company. Despite not being contacted, he hasn’t been told that “he’s no longer being used.”

Things have taken an interesting turn with this situation as it appears that NJPW is openly auditioning new commentators that could fill Callis’ spot.

A name that’s come to the forefront: ‘The Genius’ Lanny Poffo.

Whilst speaking on his podcast, ‘The Genius Cast,’ Lanny Poffo was initially reticent in divulging any details or adding to the speculation before opening up, admitting:

“[…] Michael Craven from New Japan, I met him September 1st at All In. He asked me if I would be interested in holding the microphone as a color commentator [for New Japan] and I responded, ‘Wow, that would be great!’

Poffo went on to say, “I love New Japan. I’ve never been to Japan. Can you imagine that? Of all the countries I’ve been, I’ve never been to Japan. That is on my bucket list!”

When questioned further about the role itself, he admitted that “it’s just an audition,” before highlighting that he would be “flying out October 23rd and […] coming back November 4th.”

It’s worth noting that Meltzer’s initial statement also mentioned that, “The idea right now is to have a rotation of color commentators through the end of the year. The feeling is that if he’s [Callis] brought back, it may just be for select big shows that fit his schedule.”

Clearly in high spirits, Lanny Poffo channeled The Genius once more, creating the following poem about his next adventure:

“The Genius comes to New Japan
So let your hearts rejoice
And bathe in the luxury
Of my poetic voice

My grooming is impeccable
My outfit is brand-new
Ichi, ni, san, shi, go,
Roku, shichi, hachi, kyuu, juu!”

Poffo stated that “they [NJPW] bought me a ticket to Tokyo from Tampa and I’m going to get on that plane and do my very best to be an asset and not a liability. New Japan is a very exciting group of people and I feel very lucky to be invited. In the meantime, I’m retired, but I like to keep flexible and open for exciting opportunities like this!”