Eddie Alvarez wants the ONE Championship lightweight title.

When Alvarez tested the free agency market, many believed the UFC and Bellator would be frontrunners. Instead, the former UFC and Bellator lightweight champion decided to sign with ONE Championship. This could potentially be the last contract Alvarez signs.

During a recent media call, Alvarez went in-depth on why he made the decision to go with ONE Championship:

“Without getting too much into it, we had offers from all around the world. We got offers from just about everyone you can think. Everyone expressed interest. The idea of ONE Championship, it’s the only major organization I haven’t held world title in. I won the Bellator title twice during my career, I won the UFC title during my career and as far as I’m concerned, ONE is the only major organization that I haven’t got to touch that world title belt. For myself, for my family, for my fans and everyone, this would mean that I would have a chance at making history. Possibly history that could never be made again. It would take a fighter 20 years in the fight game to be able to fight for these major organization, and it’s almost like a lottery ticket to be able to win one world title. So to be able to go to every major organization, fight their best guys in the world, to fight the best guys in that organization and then beat them all one-by-one and win that world title, means the world to me.”

Alvarez is viewed by many as ONE Championship’s biggest signing since Ben Askren. Some are arguing that signing Alvarez is a bigger deal than the Askren get. Alvarez has been inside the cage with some of the very best including Conor McGregor, Rafael dos Anjos, Donald Cerrone, Anthony Pettis, and Shinya Aoki just to name a few.