UFC heavyweight and light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier has always been a massive professional wrestling fan and now he’s looking to turn that passion into a profession.

On Friday while speaking to the media about his upcoming fight against Derrick Lewis at UFC 230 in New York, Cormier revealed that due to the timing of his short notice bout that he had to cancel a previously scheduled audition with WWE for a commentary position.

Cormier had planned to travel to Orlando where the WWE Performance Center is located as he was looking to get his foot in the door to work with the commentary team.

“If I didn’t have this fight, I have been talking to the WWE because they wanted me to go in and do an audition as a member of the commentary team,” Cormier revealed. “But because of the fight, I had to push it back.

“There may be some DC and WWE s –t coming. After the fight, I’ll go down to Orlando and do my tryout.”

While his upcoming fight may have delayed things just slightly, Cormier is still expected to try out for the WWE in the near future after his latest title defense.

Cormier is currently part of the broadcast team for the UFC where he routinely appears on shows such as “UFC Tonight” as well as calling fights as a color commentator alongside the likes of Jon Anik and Joe Rogan.

The UFC is preparing for a move from FOX to ESPN in 2019 and there have been no announcements on how the broadcast teams might change once the new broadcast deal kicks in next year.

That said, Cormier has become an extremely popular part of the UFC’s commentary team and he added that he’ll never look to leave the promotion because that is ‘home’ to him.

Instead, Cormier may look to take on a dual role with mixed martial arts and professional wrestling similar to what Mauro Ranallo currently handles as the voice of NXT as well as calling professional boxing matches for Showtime and MMA fights for Bellator.