Sami Callihan had plenty to say on today’s Impact Wrestling Press Pass. Perhaps the most impactful statements he made, however, were in regards to the X-Division. Callihan echoed sentiment previously expressed by Brian Cage in regards to wanting to bring the title back to the prominence it once enjoyed.

I had the chance to ask Callihan on today’s call about what competing in the division means to him.

“I remember being a young little death machine and watching Impact and TNA PPVs back before I was even in the wrestling business,” Callihan said. “The X-division title was something I always wanted to be a part of. Now, getting a chance to actually make this division mean something again, that’s exactly what I’m going to do.”

Callihan then spoke about how the importance of the X-Division decreased for a period.

“The fact the X-Division Championship isn’t up to where it used to be is sad,” he continued. “And I want to be one of the people, just like I’m saving Impact Wrestling, I want to be one of the people that saves the X-Division title.”

At this point, Callihan received a text message which he felt contained some disturbing information. He learned from the text that there are roughly 40 million people worldwide and only 8 million people in Ohio. Callihan then did some surprisingly quick math to work out each person from Ohio would have to fight 5 kangaroos. He was quick to say he felt OVE vs a trio of kangaroos would do great buyrates on PPV.

At Bound For Glory, Sami Callihan became the first man in Impact Wrestling to pin Brian Cage. It took a barrage of super-kicks from OVE and a Cactus Driver from Callihan to do it, however. Last week on Impact, Callihan made his intentions to challenge for the X-Division title known.

When TNA Wrestling debuted in 2002, many feel it was the X-Division matches which separated it from other promotions. The early X-Division was dominated by guys like AJ Styles, Low-Ki, and Jerry Lynn. Other names such as Christoper Daniels, the Amazing Red, Frankie Kazarian, and Chris Sabin would follow.

The X-Division became so popular many felt it had risen to the same level (if not greater) that the World Title. Over time the title’s importance faded, seemingly relegated to mid-card status. 2018 has seen a change in how the division has been handled, however. With names such as Brian Cage and Matt Sydal leading the charge, the division has a larger spotlight on it now than it has in years. If Sami Callihan gets his way, the title will be back to main event PPVs sooner rather than later.