Chris Jericho returned to New Japan Pro Wrestling at the Power Struggle event in Osaka, Japan. The IWGP Intercontinental Champion defended successfully against EVIL after locking him in a Walls of Jericho that transitioned into a Liontamer.

When Jericho would not release the submission Tetsuya Naito appeared and forced Jericho to retreat to the back. Naito then issued a direct challenge to Y2J for the Intercontinental Championship.

NJPW recently released the backstage footage of Jericho after the bout. Y2J made some interesting comments regarding his opponent EVIL. Jericho said to the NJPW reporters “you see that? That’s what is called a ‘classic match.’ The first classic match that EVIL has ever had, and that’s just number 257 for me. Classic, after classic, after classic. They don’t call me the GOAT for nothing. If you don’t understand that because you’re Japanese it’s Greatest of All Time. It’s not a tag line, it’s not a catchphrase, it’s the truth. Find me somebody ANYWHERE in the world, in the history of the business that’s had more Intercontinental Championships than I have. Tell me one, can you do it? No. I know you all speak perfect English, but you can’t speak English now, you “can’t remember.”

Jericho also made some interesting points about his record in New Japan, stating “The Gaijin won. It’s just gonna continue. I’ve NEVER lost a match in New Japan against the Japanese, ever. And I never will. Like I said, EVIL you’re a great performer. What a great match that was, one of the best that I’ve had in a long time. But I won, just like I said I would. I made you famous like I said I would. Naito, I made you famous in June. I made you famous in Korakuen Hall in January. You wanna be famous again? Find somebody else. NO REMATCH for Naito, EVER.”