Kota Ibushi WILL be challenging for the NEVER Openweight Championship.

New Japan’s World Tag League tour is now underway. Two shows in Korakuen Hall and Kanagawa have already taken place.

Kota Ibushi took part in yesterday’s Korakuen Hall event in a featured six man bout. Ibushi’s team were successful when Yujiro Takahashi hit the Pimp Juice on Chuckie T. During the bout NEVER Openweight Champion Hirooki Goto appeared to once again challenge Ibushi.

The match is now confirmed. Kota Ibushi will be taking on Hirooki Goto for the NEVER Openweight Championship on December 9th as part of World Tag League. Ibushi finally took the bout after claiming in a backstage interview that he was angling for the bout. Goto also spoke to NJPW in a backstage interview and stated that “I guess when you can’t go right, you gotta go left. I didn’t expect that it would work that easily.” Ibushi also made the following comments; “Was it a trap? Did I fall for Goto’s trap?…actually, I wanted to face him.”

Will Ospreay was originally scheduled to face Taichi for the Openweight belt. Ospreay’s recent rib injury forced him to pull out of the match and Goto took the spot and won the Championship. If New Japan are looking to promote a blockbuster Ospreay vs Ibushi bout then the NEVER title could actually change hands BEFORE January, it all depends on if Ospreay is going to be ready in time for Wrestle Kingdom.