Jay Lethal spoke with Sporting News to promote Friday’s (December 14, 2018) Ring of Honor Final Battle pay-per-view event in Manhattan, New York at the Hammerstein Ballroom where he’s slated to headline when he defends the ROH World Heavyweight Title against Cody Rhodes. This is where he noted that it’s good to be back in NYC and that this match features two wrestlers who take their job seriously and give 100 percent every single time they step in the ring.

“When I wrestle, my main priority is to make sure that I give the fans value for money and that they leave the venue and go home with some amazing memories from watching Jay Lethal. Cody is exactly the same and if he’s going into next week’s match the way I am then I’m certain that we can deliver something special and everyone will go home more than happy after watching us go all out for my Ring of Honor title.”

The Baltimore-based promotion has been around since 2003 and has changed dramatically over time. When asked about it, it noted that on a personal level, he recalls just going into an office and trying to do the job of someone far more qualified and expecting to get good results for the company. He brought up how he ended up in a company that had the best wrestlers in the world He recalled seeing guys such as Christopher Daniels, Samoa Joe, and Low Ki.

“It gave me a solid foundation to become the wrestler I am today. Ring of Honor taught me so much about the wrestling business, and then I had to go to TNA to learn about wrestling on TV, in front of cameras, on PPV, and that was another part of my life that went a long way to shaping my character. Today I feel like I could offer an awful lot to any wrestling company, but there’s no way I felt like that back then.”