John Cena was on The Graham Norton Show while promoting his film Bumblebee while actor Matthew McConaughey was sitting next to him to promote White Boy Rick. During the interview, he told a story about how early in his career, he was using a gimmick of a semi-robotic character called The Prototype. Eventually, he scrapped the idea before making his main roster debut in the WWE and changed to the character that he’s known for today.

This is when he talked about how he came up with the “You can’t see me” catchphrase which is when he stated, “I was dared to do it. I was actually making the music to my own theme song and we played it for my brother.” Cena continued by stating that it was their test to see what songs were good and what were bad.

This is when Cena stated that his brother put his hand in front of his face and starts bobbing his head which led to Cena asking what he was doing. His brother told him that everyone was doing it as they got it from watching one of 50 Cent’s music videos. Thus, his brother dared him to do it on television and Cena didn’t think he had anything to lose.

“And now for 15 years, because of a dare, I’ve been doing this and I’ll do you one better, people actually think I’m invisible.”