The WWE SmackDown Women’s Champion Becky Lynch recently spoke to Yahoo Sports where she touched on the topic of her heel character, after she turned on her best friend Charlotte Flair at SummerSlam. “The Man” also talked about why her turn has been one of the best angles in professional wrestling and more.

After sitting on the sidelines for a almost a year, Becky Lynch took out her frustration on her best friend Charlotte Flair when she turned on her after losing a title match against her.

“I think I knew going into it that I wasn’t the bad guy in that situation,” Lynch told Yahoo Sports. “How could I be the bad guy? I had gone on a winning streak unmatched by anyone on ‘Raw’ or ‘SmackDown.’ I owned the show. As soon as Charlotte comes back she gets a title opportunity and then steals the win from me. I think the fans wanted me to have that single moment.”

Becky talks about how instead of the fans hating her for being a villain, she was cheered on and supported by everyone. She was surprised that turning on her best friend made her even more popular than before.

“Yes [I was a bit surprised],” Lynch said. “I don’t think you can ever expect a response like that. When you get one it’s incredible, but it’s never expected or guaranteed.”

“[Fans] want somebody that they can look at and emulate,” Lynch said. “Someone who knows when enough is enough. When they’ve been passed over continuously, undermined, underestimated and they say, ‘No, you know what, I deserve this. I worked for more than this, I am more than this. I’m going to show the world.’ That’s what [I’m] doing.”

Becky says that her heel turn was something that she knew she had in herself, but she wasn’t sure on how she could bring it out and be well received by the audience.

“It’s something that I knew that I had in myself, but I didn’t know how to bring it out, what the right opportunity would be,” Lynch said. “I’ve walked around saying the things that I’ve been saying in my head for a long time and now the truth is coming out and I’m saying what I want to say without any fear of what people think of me, fear of being disliked. It’s been very freeing.”

Becky Lynch is set to defend her SmackDown Women’s Championship against Charlotte Flair and Asuka tomorrow at TLC. After being out from Survivor Series due to a legit broken nose and concussion, and unable to face Ronda Rousey at the event, Charlotte Flair took her place and was disqualified for her brutal attack on Rousey. Flair explained that she attacked Rousey for Becky’s sake, but when Becky returned on the subsequent episode of SmackDown she revealed that she actually did it for herself. After a title match was set between the two at TLC, the female roster demanded a chance for the title and an eight-woman battle royal was held. Asuka emerged as the winner, who was then added in the match at TLC. The event will broadcast tomorrow on WWE Network on 7ET/4PT from the SAP Center in San José, California. You can check out the entire card here. Also take a look at our predictions for the event.