This past October it was revealed that former Ring Of Honor star Punishment Martinez signed with WWE. Martinez dropped the ROH World TV Championship before departing to be a part of WWE’s NXT developmental brand. However, the man he dropped the title to has become one of ROH’s most promising stars.

Jeff Cobb picked up the ROH TV Title from Martinez in his first match with the promotion. It was quite the performance for the former amateur wrestling Olympic hopeful. Recently, Cobb joined the WINCLY podcast to talk about his journey through ROH. He mentioned how helpful Martinez was to him before he eventually departed for NXT:

“He was the previous champion so he definitely helped me out with how to represent the company,” said Cobb. “‘This is how you carry yourself.

“This is how you represent the company, represent the belt, represent your peers.’ My interactions with him weren’t as much as I would have liked… but he definitely helped out in the short time that we had.”

As aforementioned, Cobb’s ROH World TV Title victory was his first match with ROH. Not only did the move shock a lot of professional wrestling fans, but Cobb was just as surprised by the decision as well:

“I was more shocked at how quick the belt was coming to me on my first official ROH match. I definitely was very shocked that day showing up to the venue,” Cobb said.

“Well the day before. There was rumblings but I never believe anything until I show up and it’s on the call sheet.”

Cobb has since defended his title several times, including a recent successful defense against Adam Page at Final Battle. The Hawaiian’s future with ROH looks extremely bright, and he has the potential to be a big star for the promotion.