One of the biggest news developments coming out of Tuesday’s AEW Double or Nothing rally was the surprise appearance of Chris Jericho. As we’ve been reporting since October, Jericho has been working behind the scenes with Tony Khan, Cody Rhodes and The Young Bucks in helping get the new wrestling promotion off the ground.

As Jericho put it, “I am a maverick, I am an outlaw. I am a pariah. I am Chris Jericho, baby … I’m not here to just change the world. AEW is not here to change the world. We are going to change the whole universe!”

Chris Jericho officially signed his AEW contract on Tuesday night, but it Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer reports that Jericho was actually also in talks with WWE about a potential return up until recently. Jericho ultimately settled on All Elite Wrestling, which will give him a lot more freedom to work with New Japan Pro Wrestling, his metal band Fozzy and his Jericho cruise later this year.

In response to Jericho’s signing with AEW, WWE moved Chris Jericho’s WWE.com bio from the “Superstars” page to the “Alumni” section. Jericho was also removed from the “Then, Now, Forever” opening video package that aired before Tuesday’s SmackDown Live.

Jericho’s debut for AEW will take place at the promotion’s first event. “Double Or Nothing” goes down from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on May 25th.