All Elite Wrestling President Tony Khan was Sean Waltman’s guest on Wednesday’s edition of the X-Pac 12360 podcast. Khan spoke about a wide range of topics during the interview, including rumors that Bill Goldberg joining AEW, the prospect of partnering with other promotions, his vision for All Elite Wrestling and much more.

Bill Goldberg to AEW?

Former WWE and WCW Superstar Bill Goldberg is one of the big names rumored to be involved in All Elite Wrestling. Goldberg’s agent is Barry Bloom, who has been working on AEW behind the scenes since its inception.

Tony Khan said, “I have spent some time will Bill, I really like Bill a lot and he’s one of the greatest drawing cards ever in the business, he’s a huge star, a household name…and yeah if the situation was right obviously …I haven’t agreed to anything with Bill or anything but I like Bill a lot."

Tony Khan’s Vision For All Elite Wrestling

“I want to grow this into being something that the wrestling community will embrace… From top to bottom, beginning to end, every show we’re going to give you things we think you’re gonna enjoy and I don’t want to give you anything unless there’s a reason. Where it’s gonna be important later where you saw it, I don’t want to give you anything that you’re not going to enjoy now. If that makes sense… I think what we have, is we have a group of people with so much talent and so much wrestling know-how that I think we’re going to be able to generate a wrestling show that’s not just build with great work and awesome promos but spontaneity and a live show that really feels like a live show like ’ooh anything can happen’… I am excited about what we’re going to do.”

The Importance of Wins and Losses in Wrestling

Over the years, many fans have bemoaned the concept of “50/50” booking, a concept where everybody wins and loses against everyone else and nobody gets ahead. At the Double or Nothing press conference, Cody Rhodes referenced the importance of wins and losses in pro wrestling. Tony Khan agrees that it’s crucial for pro wrestling to be presented as athletic competition with consequential matches.

“[Wrestling] hasn’t been taken seriously as the true athletic competition it is, in other sports wins and losses matter and I feel like wins and losses are a huge part of the equation. I really want a win and a loss to be taken seriously and the win/loss component should be a huge part of the competition to build up to the championship. Something we will take very very seriously. In my background in sports, I am huge believer in statistics and I think that’s one area where in wrestling we’ve seen some cool stuff get over…To me I think there’s real opportunities to do some interesting things just in terms of building up athletes the way UFC has as legitimate competition.”

Challenges AEW Will Face

When asked about what challenges lie ahead, Tony Khan spoke about the need to produce a compelling product “every week” and deliver something people want to see (and will pay to see) regularly.

“I think it will be on the company to deliver something that people want to see and I think we have the performers that can deliver that, we have the brainpower within the organization to deliver that,” he said. “So, I think it’s not gonna be easy, everyone has to work really hard but I think that’s the challenge that everybody’s up too.”

Partnering With Other Promotions

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter recently reported that AEW turned down a proposal to purchase Impact Wrestling. Khan flat out denied that AEW is interested in acquiring other wrestling promotions, saying “No. No.” at the prospect.

“We’re looking to start something new I am not looking to absorb… I am open to partnerships. There are a lot of people doing exciting things all over the world and especially internationally; I am very open to partnerships. And domestically, I think I’ve seen the future and it’s what we’re doing. I am very very happy with where we’re at today … I am not really looking to acquire a lot of other companies or even libraries but as far as partnerships and things of that nature I think there’s a lot of exciting things that people can do.”

Healthcare & Equal Pay

Coming out of Tuesday’s Double or Nothing press conference, there have been conflicting reports about whether or not AEW talent will be given health care coverage. Khan clarified the situation, noting that some AEW talent will be independent contractors (and allowed to wrestle elsewhere), but some AEW wrestlers (Cody and Brandi Rhodes, The Young Bucks) will have full-time office jobs with AEW and will have similar benefits to other sports executives. “At the end of the day a lot of people are doing office jobs so a lot of wrestlers are gonna end up with healthcare out of this.”

As for the talk of ‘equal pay for men and women’ in AEW, Khan said it’s entirely based on performance and merit, but the ‘base pay’ is the same for everyone. From there, it’s up to the talent to perform. If certain people draw more money for the company, they will get paid more. But it will be an even playing field for everyone no matter their gender.