Jim Ross defends Ronda Rousey’s promo work on this week’s Jim Ross Report.

The Raw Women’s Champion delivered a backstage promo before her main event tag match on Raw this week that has become something of a lightning rod among internet wrestling fans.

Some believe that Rousey may have botched the segment with rushed delivery. Others believe that the lack of polish on the interview added an authentic feel to the Rousey and Sasha Banks feud.

Count Good Ol’ JR among the latter group.

“I liked the Ronda Rousey promo, I know some didn’t,” said Ross. “I did. It felt real. It felt credible. I didn’t feel like she was BS-ing me.”

Ross used the promo as a launching point to a larger discussion on scripted promos in wrestling.

“I didn’t feel like she was reciting some writer’s lines,” Ross said. “There’s a big issue right now. The trend is moving towards fans sometimes being more over-sensitive than they need to be on promos. Scripted promos are not good.”

“They’re just not good unless the personality, the talent, has the innate ability to take someone else’s copy and organically make it theirs,” said Ross. “Those that can’t pull it off expose the ugly side of the business that we are all living in right now. Everything’s got to be over-produced, seemingly, and there’s not enough individuality in these characters. That individuality used to make them bigger than life.”