ROH General Manager Greg Gilleland spoke with CBS New York ahead of shows in Lakeland and Miami this past weekend where he spoke about a wide range of topics.

First up was the departures of talents such as The Young Bucks, Cody Rhodes, Hangman Page, and SoCal Uncensored as they joined AEW (All Elite Wrestling). In the eyes of Gilleland, he doesn’t think that 2019 marks a rebuilding year but rather another year of growth which is something that they have done for the last five years.

He also brought up how their departures had been rumored while leading up to the new year so they weren’t surprised. Gilleland also addressed a potential partnership with AEW.

“Everything definitely ended amicably. We’ve talked to them since. Right now, there’s nothing to explore. There are three events, potentially, and there’s the rumored potential of the TV deal. We would have to know what we’re exploring, to answer that. Joe [Koff, ROH Chief Operating Officer] and I are businessmen first. We would never turn down an opportunity, but the opportunity has to make sense for us and for our brand. I think probably the best answer I can give you is that we’ll explore every opportunity, and we’ll do what’s best for our brand and, more importantly, our fans.”

Another topic that was talked about was the upcoming G1 Supercard event is being co-promoted by Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling at Madison Square Garden in New York City this year during WrestleMania 35 weekend.

Gilleland was asked when they first decided to run this venue if ROH envisioned having Cody and The Young Bucks for the show and them building the card around those talents.

“Honestly, it wasn’t really a factor in the decision. Madison Square Garden is something that we firmly believed in. It was an opportunity that arose for us. We decided to include our partner, New Japan, into it, because we wanted to give the fans something really big, and really massive. Obviously, we wanted those guys to be in it, but if you go back and look at all of our marketing materials, we never marketed anybody that we didn’t know we had. We don’t market anything that we don’t have.”

He added that the notion of going to MSG and making history is what they went with as it was their dream and goal. He vowed that it’s going to be huge.