“Switchblade” Jay White won the IWGP Heavyweight Championship on Monday in Osaka. He defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi, the Ace of New Japan who had just won the title for the 8th time at Wrestle Kingdom.

Some fans have been critical of the 26-year-old’s fast-rise in the promotion. White recently spoke to NJPW1972.com about fan reaction to his victory.

“Everyone’s their own opinions about me winning this bout, whether that’s you, other wrestlers, NJPW executives, the fans…” White said. “The fans love to share their thoughts and opinions about us as wrestlers as if we were looking to be judged by them. I’m not looking to be judged by anyone, I don’t care about your opinions. The fans talk as if I owe them something.”

White would continue to say the reason he has been so successful in the company is that he does not pander to fans.

“That’s the main difference between me and almost everyone else in New Japan is that I’m smart enough to not pander to the fans,” he continued. “It’s the other way round. You owe me, I’m the one putting his body on the line. You will sit there and watch.”

The new champion continued to give his opinion on why some fans have reacted harshly to his push.

“I’m not jumping around doing death-defying moves,” White continued. “I’m smart, I’m the smartest. That’s why this belt is with me today. I’m going to walk into MSG champion and I’m going to walk out of MSG champion. I’m the champion Pro-Wrestling needs and despite each and every fan out there.”

White also brought up during the interview comments he made 13 months prior to winning the title.

“If you remember last year, January 6th last year when I joined Chaos,” White recalled. “I put my necklace over this belt and everyone, especially Okada laughed at me. Just over a year later, this is real now [points at belt with necklace over it], this is Switchblade’s belt. Hearing that is so sweet – too sweet!”