Eric Bischoff was credited in WWE storylines as the creator of the elimination chamber match. Of course, the concept was not a Bischoff creation in real life.

Now, years later, Bischoff is pulling the curtain back and giving his unfiltered thoughts on the elimination chamber concept on the 83 Weeks podcast.

“I wasn’t impressed with it,” Bischoff said. “My first thought was as a producer. This is going to be really hard to shoot. It was a big, heavy, dark cage. When I first laid eyes on it, I thought, wow, that’s going to be tough to make look good on TV.”

Bischoff is quick to point out, though, that in spite of his initial response, he had faith that WWE executive producer and director Kevin Dunn was up to the challenge.

“I wasn’t second-guessing anybody. I knew if anybody could do it, Kevin Dunn could figure out a way to do it,” said Bischoff.

Bischoff went on to explain that his initial aversion to the chamber concept was likely linked to his own time in WCW, and having seen too much in the way of gimmick matches.

Remember the Doomsday Cage?

“By that time, I had been through enough gimmick matches of my own that I hated,” Bischoff said. “It didn’t resonate with me as well as it resonated with the audience.”

You can hear more of Bischoff’s thoughts on the elimination chamber, as well as his entire first year in WWE, here: