Right on the heels of the UFC announcing their return to Ottawa on May 4th, more major news has been reported out of Canada, as it has been reported that Georges St-Pierre is set to officially announce his retirement. Aaron Bronsteter of TSN shared the news via Twitter, crediting Benoit Beaudoin with the initial report.

According to the report, Georges St-Pierre will announce his retirement tomorrow morning (Feb. 21) from the Bell Centre in Montreal. It is said that the decision to retire comes as a result of failed negotiations between St-Pierre and the UFC on a proposed bout between St-Pierre and reigning lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov. Following Nurmagomedov’s victory over Conor McGregor at UFC 229, Georges St-Pierre expressed that a fight against the undefeated champion was the only fight that interested him:

“I always said the thing that excites me the most is when I can be the first to do something,” St-Pierre said on a recent edition of Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show. “When something can’t be done, and people doubt me … (Khabib’s) a great champion. In terms of legacy, I can’t think of a better man and fighter right now with a better legacy than Khabib.”

Although Georges St-Pierre expressed an interest in a fight again Khabib, he also remained skeptical that the bout would actually come to fruition:

“I know Khabib has impressed the desire to fight me before the (McGregor) fight,” St. Pierre said. “Before the fight, there were a lot of contenders. … I don’t think the UFC would want me to fight for a title at 155. They don’t want me to run off into the sunset again with a title if that happened. I don’t think it will happen."

As it turns out, St-Pierre’s instincts were correct and the failure to come to terms on the bout has reportedly brought about an end to a legendary, one-of-a-kind career.