Since leaving WWE, Davey Boy Smith Jr. has been making a name for himself amongst the independent scene. He is currently one-half of the Major League Wrestling (MLW) Tag Team Champions and is a member of Suzuki-Gun in New Japan Pro Wrestling. In New Japan, he tags with Lance Archer, forming the formidable team of Killer Elite Squad.

In an interview with the WINCLY podcast, Davey Boy Smith Jr. discussed the emerging All Elite Wrestling and commented on his interest in the promotion.

He admits that he has yet to speak to anyone from AEW, stating that “I think that it’s awesome that they’ve created something new and different, and I hope it’s a fresh breath of air for the wrestling world. Something that’s just a different alternative, and hey, competition is always a good thing, right?”

Smith Jr. would go on to say that if he were to be approached by AEW, he wouldn’t know what he’d be able to commit to due to his NJPW obligations.

“I haven’t been contacted by them, but if I were to be, I don’t know what the situation is with New Japan. It seems that they’re not really working with AEW, which is too bad because guys like The Young Bucks & Kenny were featured stars in New Japan. And then when they started their own company, it seems that things have kind of split. I’d have to look into what would be the best situation for myself.”

Wishing them all the best, he shared that he would like to be a part of the promotion “if there’s interest” before reiterating that his contract with New Japan may render it impossible.

“You know what? I wish them all the best. I would like to be a part of it if there’s interest, if there’s a situation that I can be in there but I don’t know if it would work with New Japan. I’m not sure.”