Jeremy Stephens admits he was in a dark place following his loss to Jose Aldo.

Back in July 2018, Stephens and Aldo clashed in the co-main event of UFC Calgary. Stephens was finished due to a body shot from Aldo in the first round. A loss is tough for any fighter, but “Lil Heathen” had a much bigger issue to worry about.

Stephens appeared on the latest addition of ESPN’s Ariel Helwani MMA Show. He admitted that after losing to Aldo, he had suicidal thoughts (via BJPenn.com):

“After the fight, I was looking at my kids who were 9 and 7, and that was when my parents split up, when I was 8 years old. I was ready to leave my wife, leave my kids and just leave it all. Thinking suicidal thoughts. I didn’t really believe in myself. Why should a young kid from Des Moines, Iowa, be a world champion? Right as I was about to get my title break, I would just drop the ball. There was no self-confidence. Those things were holding me back.”

We’ve seen Ronda Rousey and Cody Garbrandt admit to having suicidal thoughts in the past. The death of renowned coach Robert Follis was ruled a suicide by the Nevada Coroner back in late 2017.