John Cena is scheduled for a book signing in New York City on April 5th. This happens to be over WrestleMania weekend.

It has been speculated that this might not be mere coincidence, and that Cena will be appearing at WrestleMania in order to compete.

His rumored opponent? The new United States Champion, Samoa Joe.

R-Truth held another US Open Challenge on SmackDown Live this week in honor of his hero, wanting to make him proud. Samoa Joe, however, would emerge victorious this past Tuesday during what became a Fatal Four Way matchup. After his win, Samoa Joe would be interviewed backstage by Kayla Braxton. His words teased a future confrontation with John Cena.

When Braxton brought up that his fellow WWE Superstars “accused” Joe of being unable to win “the big one,” Joe would interrupt her.

“Accusations? No gentlemen, they were not making accusations. They were merely unanswered prayers. Because every SmackDown Superstar, they know the lengths I’ll go to win gold and they fear what I’ll do to keep it.

“You see, gentlemen, it’s quite simple — the champ is not one to come out here and do dance breaks. I don’t pander to the masses of the unexceptional, and I sure as hell ain’t a man who loves John Cena,”
Joe claimed.

“Hustle, loyalty and respect? No, no, no. All my opponents will find is disrespect for any man who has the audacity to come for the king and his crown. And to all you SmackDown Superstars who wanna lie awake at night, every night, having nightmares about the day you might step in the ring against me…rest assured boys, I’ll be along soon enough to make you all go night-night.”

Despite being off WWE television, John Cena’s name and legacy has been mentioned a number of times, particularly around the United States Championship and R-Truth’s short run of US Open Challenges.

With all this name dropping, it seems apparent that WWE is prepping the WWE Universe for the return of John Cena. But could it be against Joe for the US Championship at WrestleMania 35?