Kota Ibushi recently sat down with New Japan’s English Language site NJPW1972.com to discuss a number of topics. The ‘Golden Star’ recently confirmed that he would be staying with New Japan instead of heading to the new All Elite Wrestling promotion. Ibushi’s longtime Golden Lovers tag partner Kenny Omega decided to leave Japan. This was of course covered as part of the interview. NJPW stated that this interview would reveal Kota’s “real feelings” about Omega.

When asked about Omega leaving Ibushi replied “Kenny has his own path to follow and I support him with it completely. I’d like to see Kenny change the world with wrestling, but I don’t want to lose to him. I’m going to fight my battles with everything I’ve got. Looking back now, I think Kenny really overshadowed me in New Japan, right?”

The interviewer then asked Ibushi if he felt that the team was a “50/50 relationship” as Omega has mentioned in the past. Kota had an interesting response, stating that “No. When I look at what he’s achieved, Kenny’s won the G1 and was IWGP Heavyweight Champion, two things I’ve never done. Because I felt that I was not on the same level as him, I was always conscious about linking arms and teaming-up with him.”

Kota Ibushi is scheduled to be taking part in the upcoming New Japan Cup tournament. The winner of the tournament will go on to face Jay White for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship at the G1 Supercard event.