Becky Lynch was once at risk of being cut by WWE even before she debuted on NXT television. She had been given an Irish-jig dancing gimmick and lost 12 matches on NXT house shows to start her career.

Lynch then defeated Summer Rae in the summer of 2014 in her NXT TV debut. Lynch took to Twitter recently to comment on her debut match and her position in the company at the time.

A couple of weeks before this they were going to let me go. I’ve been fighting to survive this place since before day one. I’ll never be above what I had to do to stay alive. #happypaddysday

— The Man (@BeckyLynchWWE) March 17, 2019

In November, Lynch addressed her former gimmick on a media call.

“Let us never talk about that again. You know what, you can’t get worse than that,” Lynch said regarding the gimmick. “Sometimes you’ve just gotta fricking make a fool out of yourself and then you become little bit untouchable. So, I tell ya, it’s gonna make one hell of a biography one day, I hope. That was terrible, and we all know it was terrible. Let nobody else say anything different.”

Lynch would win the inaugural Smackdown women’s championship two years later. She is now a 2x former holder of the title, a Royal Rumble winner, and was awarded the Woman of the Year award by Pro Wrestling Illustrated for 2018. Lynch will face Ronda Rousey and Charlotte Flair for the RAW women’s championship at WrestleMania 35.