Kenny Omega recently made an appearance on the Jay and Dan show for TSN to promote his upcoming documentary and during the interview, he spoke about a wide range of topics.

Halfway through the interview, he talked about his decision to go to AEW instead of joining WWE. The former IWGP Heavyweight Champion started out by reflecting on having a stint in WWE’s developmental system at the time, Deep South Wrestling, and admitted that it just wasn’t for him.

“I learned a lot, there was a lot of things that helped me take the next step after I left WWE.” He would continue by stating that he always felt that whenever he had full creative control over his own person and ideas that he “could really be the true me and the real me and show my full potential.”

Omega added that “I was actually heavily considering going there earlier in the year. But AEW, this new promotion that we’ve got going, that just seemed right for me. And I always get really excited at the idea of having full creative control and just doing new things.”

Omega stated that there’s sometimes a job where you have to conform to a certain system, or you have to perform to a certain standard or way. Or people want to manage you and then micro-manage you. Thus, this is a situation where he’s going to be part of a multi-million dollar company (AEW), and they’re giving him the ball.

“And to me, that’s exciting, as a performer. I thought that was probably what was best for me as a performer.”