WWE Hall of FamerJim Ross officially announced his long-expected signing with All Elite Wrestling this week. On the latest episode of his Jim Ross Report podcast, JR explains why he chose to sign with AEW and his new role as Senior Advisor.

“I’m happy to be back in the saddle, back in the game,” Ross says. “All I ever really wanted is just to play. I wanted to stay involved.”

JR went on to expound on that idea, getting a bit philosophical about his move to AEW.

“At some point in your life, you will understand that you are on that back nine,” says Ross. “And you’ve done more things in your life, to date, than you have the time left to do more tomorrow.”

“And our tomorrows are never guaranteed, right? My point is, I just needed to be involved. I needed to be on the team, I want to play. I want to contribute.”

To that end, Ross says that his contributions to AEW could be in a number of different areas.

He announces on the show that he will call play-by-play for the Double Or Nothing event, and adds that he could serve in various other roles.

“One of the great joys of my entire career was recruiting, mentoring, and signing talents,” says Ross.

“Now, I don’t have any idea if I’m going to be doing all that. My title is Senior Advisor. But I can converse with talent. I can address talent’s issues. I can be that mentor.”

“I’ve been there, I’ve done that, I’ve seen it all,”
Ross continues. “And I’ve loved every minute of it, even the bad times.”

“It’s all a part of that great journey that I’m still on, thank God.”

“I’m going to work for AEW. I’ll be doing play-by-play for their wrestling shows, and also working as a Senior Advisor,”
says Ross. “I’ll be working closely with Tony Khan and his staff, and all those Executive Vice Presidents he’s got hired.”

“It’ll be fun… I’m really happy that the Khan family has confidence in my abilities to tell a story, to do play-by-play, and to do the other things that I really embrace doing.”

“I realize I can’t do play-by-play forever, but I can damn sure do it for the length of this contract, which is three years, without any problem,
” Ross says.

“I look forward to the days ahead, and getting my ass back to work.”