Darren Young has more to offer pro-wrestling and he’s hoping 2019 brings him the opportunity to do so. The 35-year-old recently spoke with reporter Chris Van Vliet regarding his release from WWE in 2017, hoping to sign with AEW, and what more he has to offer the wrestling industry.

“I’m going to be honest with you 2017 broke me,” Young said during the interview. “2018 really opened my eyes and in 2019 I’ve just been making moves. Taking acting class, getting those reps in out here in LA. I’ve been out here almost 2 years now.”

Following his release from WWE in late 2017, Young performed on some shows for Chikara, Big Time Wrestling, and WrestleCade. He said during the interview, however, he is hoping to get signed by AEW, ROH, or NJPW.

“I’ve been trying to get into AEW,” said Young. “I feel like I still have a lot left in the tank. I contacted Cody Rhodes’ wife Brandi. I’ve also contacted Ring Of Honor. I still want to be able to represent and contribute in the wrestling world because I’m still a diehard fan, I still have a lot left in the tank. I’m 35 years old and I feel so alive.”

He continued, “Hopefully with this interview people can spread the word about me wanting to get into AEW or ROH or New Japan.”

Young is also a speaker as part of his “Block the Hate” campaign.

His full interview with Chris Van Vliet can be viewed in the player below:

Young also spoke in regards to his feelings watching Finn Balor’s WrestleMania 34 entrance.

“I’ll be honest with you, the release wasn’t that hurtful it was more hurtful at last year’s WrestleMania seeing Finn Balor in the opening match and the LGBTQ colors were embraced under his umbrella. I love Finn, I love Finn to death but I was like ‘Man, you just released me a few months ago. Give a dog a bone. Let me embrace it.’ I want to be able to go out there and show people that being gay comes in all different sizes and shapes. I don’t celebrate being gay, I celebrate living my life free from hate and free from judgement.”