Brian Cage says he’s “heartbroken” about the way things turned out for him Sunday night at Impact Wrestling’s rebellion pay-per-view.

Cage was victorious and defeated Johnny Impact to capture the Impact World Championship. It should have been the crowning moment of his career. Unfortunately, he sustained a back injury just minutes into the match. He was able to finish (and win) the contest, but was sent to the emergency room at a local medical facility as soon as the show went off the air.

The Machine has released a statement addressing the situation. Despite finally reaching the top of the mountain in Impact Wrestling, Brian Cage says the injury sours his victory and the whole situation is heart breaking.

Brian Cage Statement:

“Not the way I wanted to end the night or the picture/post I thought I’d be making. Very disheartening and disappointed how it went down.This is a moment I’ve dreamt about and have waited, trained, sacrificed and busted my ass for. And to say it doesn’t break my heart and sour my victory would be lying. Thanks for all the congrats and well wishes from everyone. Will see where we go from here…..”

It’s an unfortunate setback for the Machine, who should be on top of the world today and celebrating. Hopefully his medical evaluation yields good news and he does not miss any ring time.

Impact returns to the Rebel Nightclub in Toronto tonight for the next round of television tapings. We will have Impact tapings results later tonight. We’ll also provide an update if they address Brian Cage’s health.