The NWA and ROH combined to present the return of the Crockett Cup this weekend. PCO & Brody King won the one-night tournament while Nick Aldis successfully retained the NWA World Heavyweight Championship against Marty Scurll in the night’s main event.

Corgan appeared on Busted Open Radio recently to speak on the event’s success.

“I’m a fan of tag team wrestling,” Corgan said. “I’m not a big fan that in the last 20 years we’ve seen tag team wrestling not be as important as it should be. I was just really pleased to see people who are students in that game go out and win the crowd over.”

“People get kind of thrown off sometimes with the nostalgia part,” Corgan continued. “They almost take that as me wanting it to be a throw-back promotion, they totally miss the point. I want to celebrate the history my way.”

The Crockett Cup featured many throw-backs to the NWA’s history, such as the blue mats which were used at the event.

Corgan also praised the work Nick Aldis is doing as NWA World Heavyweight Champion.

“What’s crazy was when I came into TNA, Nick was still there at the time and Nick had a lot of heat with the office,”
Corgan said.

“Low and behold here I am a few years later and I’m working with Nick, he’s our champion and I’m looking at this guy going how can the world not see this guy’s value?” Corgan continued.

You can listen to the full interview in the player below: