Michael Elgin debuted for Impact Wrestling at the Rebellion PPV in Toronto’s Rebel Nightclub. He had his first match for the promotion the next night and became the #1 contender for the Impact World title in the process.

Elgin was recently the guest on an Impact Wrestling Press Pass and spoke about leaving NJPW for Impact Wrestling.

“It was more-so of just me wanting to be there (Impact) and I kind of freed up my obligations because I just spent so much time in Japan and there was an offer there that I decided wasn’t right for me,” Elgin said. “Because I decided that even though it was said otherwise in some media outlets, I felt it was time to move on and focus on my son. And looking at all the other options, like I previously mentioned, that I focus on wrestling and I watch a lot and I try to watch every company out there and stay focused on the talent that’s out there, and- just the product as a whole within Impact was what I like about pro wrestling.”

Elgin continued to talk about Impact’s approach to pro-wrestling.

“It’s what my pro wrestling that I grew up on focuses on. Championships mean something,” he continued. “People are going out there and fighting to be the best wrestler and to gain a championship and it just speaks volumes to me because that’s what I like about wrestling. I like the athletic atmosphere. I like the sport atmosphere of it.”

You can listen to the full interview below: