John Cena recently did an interview with Sports Illustrated where he talked about a wide range of topics including his status with WWE.

This is where the former WWE Champion started out by stating that he has a good perspective of the product, which is performance-based. He would talk about how he’s never been the most orthodox performer but rather able to take an honest assessment of himself and admit that he’s not sure he can perform at the same level that he used to be.

“I want to be confident in every performance. I’m not sure what my role is, but I know WWE is my family and, as long as they’ll have me, I’ll never leave.”

Cena would continue by pitching the idea of being a coach at the Performance Center because he thinks it would be shameful for that experience and performance wisdom to go to no one.

“Whether I had the opportunity to do Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? Or Fast and the Furious, or if I had none of that going on and I just had idle time, I would be having the same conversation with myself. I need to define what my new role is. That’s the conversation I’m having with myself at 42 after performing for 16 years straight.”

Cena would later note that he looks at the whole process differently than anyone else, which is why he has so much fun doing it.

“I attack the creative process differently than anyone else. I’m consistently taking the most realistic look at myself and the company as I possibly can.”