The former Hideo Itami appeared on New Japan’s Dominion event in Osaka over the weekend. He was accompanied to the ring by Katsuyori Shibata and then declared himself for this summer’s G1 Climax tournament. KENTA sat down with NJPW commentator Chris Charlton recently and spoke about why he signed with NJPW, his history with Shibata and more.

Charlton asked KENTA why he signed with NJPW after leaving WWE and having been so associated with Pro Wrestling NOAH in the past.

“Now New Japan goes worldwide,” KENTA said. “I want to show my wrestling to the world as KENTA, not Hideo Itami. I want to show my wrestling to the world and New Japan goes worldwide, US, UK, everybody knows New Japan. So, I decided New Japan.”

KENTA also spoke about Jon Moxley debuting in New Japan and the time they both spent in WWE. He mentioned that in WWE, KENTA and Moxley were on separate paths.

“(Moxley) was the top of the top in WWE but, you know, I was not,” KENTA said.

Charlton then asked if KENTA is interested in wrestling Moxley in the G1.

“Definitely,” KENTA responded. “I want to have a match with him because now I’m not just stupid Hideo Itami, now I’m KENTA. I want to fight him as KENTA.”

KENTA also spoke on his relationship with Katsuyori Shibata and more. The full interview can be viewed in the player below: