From engaging with the WWE Universe to running shows specifically broadcast via Facebook, WWE has embraced social media wholeheartedly.

Whilst out in Orlando delivering a key note speech, Stephanie McMahon spoke about WWE’s initial social media strategy with SpaceCoastDaily.com.

Reflecting on her time in WWE, Stephanie admitted that there have been numerous changes, particularly in how technology allows people to connect with one another.

“The two biggest changes have been technology and what technology provides to really connect us all. We are talking about sports, and we are talking about community. Digital and social media has really allowed us to engage and interact with our fanbase in a much more direct way.”

WWE’s decision to embrace social media came from her father, Vince McMahon. She credits him with having the foresight to utilise these platforms to their advantage.

“It was my father [Vince McMahon] that really had the foresight in terms of social media. He said, ‘Social media is not 1 percent of 100 peoples jobs or 100 percent of 1 person’s job, it’s 100 percent of 100 percent.’ He looked at a time when he had to prove himself to his father, my father grew WWE from a regional company to a global entertainment media company currently valued at just over $6 billion. So that has been the biggest change to me.”

Whether it’s via a social media channel or a streaming service like YouTube, WWE has continued to adapt, using modern platforms to bring their product to as many people as possible.