Dalton Castle has credited his past radio job for preparing him for a career in professional wrestling.

The former Ring of Honor World Champion recently spoke with Wrestlezone’s Kevin Kallam. It was during their conversation that Dalton opened up about his experiences working as a radio presenter for Q105.7 in Albany, New York. He stated that his time there would influence his in-ring mic style and promo ability.

“Yeah, I spent some time working on an alter rock station for a few years. Then four-five years on an active rock station in Albany, New York. I loved radio,” Castle said. “I was simultaneously starting my wrestling career at the same time I was doing my radio career. One day radio said goodbye and wrestling said we’ll take ya and make ya into a bigger star and life has been better ever since. I loved radio, I loved doing interviews, I got to go to a lot of festivals and concerts.”

He admitted that spending time in a microphone helped him understand the proper ways to address and engage with an audience, something he continues to put into effect in ROH.

“I would say addressing a crowd, talking into the microphone is probably the best thing that radio had prepared me for in the world of wrestling. With a broadcast degree, I know the appropriate length to hold a microphone from your mouth. I know how to not pop my p’s. I am certainly not popping p’s. What am I? Some sort of two years in the business rookie wrestling on the indies popping my p’s into a microphone? Pacing around and pulling on the XLR cable? No, I’m a damn pro.”

Castle recently picked up a victory against Dragon Lee at ROH’s Best In The World PPV.