Cruiserweight Champion Drew Gulak recently defended his title successfully against Tony Nese at Extreme Rules. Earlier that weekend, Gulak dropped a match to Matt Riddle at Evolve’s 10th Anniversary show. The event took place inside Philadelphia’s 2300 Arena, a venue Gulak has a plethora of experience in.

Gulak was this week’s guest on Edge and Christian’s Pod of Awesomeness. During the show, he spoke about his experiences on 205 Live from its inception to the current product.

“When the Cruiserweight Classic was conceived, originally it was supposed to be a throw-back to the Super Junior tournaments,” Gulak said on the show. “I heard the direction that Triple H wanted to take it in was more sports-oriented. No bells or whistles, as gritty as we can make.”

“Then slowly, I think Vince’s ideas were behind it was like ‘No, no, no, we’ve got to blow these guys up to be larger than life like stars,”
he continued. “It kind of seeped through.”

Gulak then noted that when 205 Live started, Vince was in control.

“When 205 Live became a thing, control switched and Vince wanted to run it. Which was cool because it was him with a bunch of new toys to play with,” he continued.

“The show kind of took on that style almost like what you would see on RAW or Smackdown. So, I felt my strength in that format would be to kind of use my voice and my personality to build the rest of the show up. So, that’s where I kind of pushed to going back to my political campaign route which still compliments the style, it doesn’t take away from that but it adds a whole other layer of stories.”