After a string of notable victories in All Elite Wrestling, Cody Rhodes has earned an opportunity at the inaugural AEW Champion, Chris Jericho.

Responding to a Tweet from the official AEW account asking if the people were ready for Cody to become the new AEW Champion. He wrote about having fun being underrated throughout his career, before admitting that he wants to claim the championship for his wife, mother, and every fan who supported him when he bet on himself three years ago.

“Being “underrated” was fun but also the least rewarding period of my career

It may seem silly but in my house the World Championship is The Stanley Cup, The Oscar, The Lombardi Trophy

I want it for my Wife, my Momma, & every fan who bet on me 3 years ago when I bet on myself”

Cody holds victories over his brother Dustin Rhodes as well as his recent win over Shawn Spears at All Out. He also has a tag team loss against The Young Bucks with his brother Dustin, and a time limit draw against Darby Allin. The promotion has previously stressed the importance of wins and losses, and so with these victories under his belt, Cody became the number one contender for Jericho’s championship.

AEW Full Gear takes place on November 9th from the Royal Farms Arena in Baltimore, Maryland.