Lio Rush recently returned to WWE during NXT’s premiere on USA Network. The Superstar defeated Oney Lorcan to become the new number one contender for the WWE Cruiserweight Championship. In an interview with The Sit Down, Rush opened up about his career in pro wrestling as well as his interest in music.

During their conversation, Rush shared his belief that his career may have greater longevity compared to his Superstar colleagues. He credits this to decisions he has been making. He commented that “That’s true – a lot of not smart wrestlers don’t make it to a certain age.”

When it comes to his WWE character, Rush explained that he had concerns that WWE would rely on lazy stereotypes when it comes to black talent. Rush added that he felt he had avoided these stereotypes by breaking the mold in what he’s doing.

“I always had that fear getting into it at first,”
Rush admitted. “Then I felt like I broke that stereotype just because of the things that I was doing and showing that I’m not your typical stereotype, black wrestler who’s like flipping, and flopping, and dancing around and s***.”

With his victory on NXT, Rush will receive an opportunity at Drew Gulak’s Cruiserweight Championship.