AEW World Champion Chris Jericho recently spoke with Uproxx to promote his new Christmas song, a hard-rock version of Father Christmas by the Kinks. Proceeds from the single are being donated to Juvenile Diabetes Research Funding. You can hear the song at the bottom of this article.

Of course, pro wrestling was a major topic of discussion during the interview. When asked about CM Punk’s return to WWE television, Jericho says he can’t believe what a letdown it was and how little buzz there has been.

“It’s a long time coming,” Jericho said. “We knew there would be a Mötley Crüe reunion and we knew CM Punk would come back to wrestling. It was just a matter of time. I think he came back with more of a sigh than a scream.”

“It seems kinda funny that he came back on a show that drew 150,000 viewers where it could have been 5 million viewers,”
he added. “But if it’s part of the process to slowly wean him into the wrestling business, then good.”

Chris Jericho says, “WWE sure needs” Punk, because this business is built on star power. He says “Good for him for coming back” but believes that CM Punk’s return was nowhere near as big as it could have been or should have been.

“He’s back for the first time in five years and no one really cares,”
said Jericho. “But I’m sure it will lead to more. I don’t see how it can’t.”

It’s no secret that CM Punk had some talks with All Elite Wrestling about joining them. That may still happen, but it seems like a long-shot at this point – especially with Seth Rollins repeatedly calling out CM Punk for a match at WrestleMania.

Jericho admits that Punk would have been a nice addition to AEW, but they don’t need him. “I’m not disappointed,” said Jericho. “I know there were some conversations, but Punk’s his own guy. Could we have used him? Yes. Does it hurt us to not have him? No, not at all.”