Chris Jericho was recently a guest on Konnan’s “Keepin it 100” podcast and spoke about having creative freedom with his promos. Jericho was asked by Disco Inferno about what freedom he had creatively in WWE.

“I was there almost 20 years, so I had a lot of freedom to say ‘I don’t like this’ and also I had a lot of input,” Jericho said on the show. “All the Shawn Michaels stuff was my stuff with Shawn, same with Rey and Kevin Owens, all that stuff. I had a lot of say in it but when you’re talking about having to write a promo together – I mean, all the promos I’ve done in AEW have been off the cuff, all off the top of my head, everything. Even last week with Scorpio when he was talking about Melanie Parsons, I said ‘Well, Melanie Parsons has gained a lot of weight since high school,’ that was improv and then he came back with ‘I like big butts and I cannot lie.’ It’s like that was a great moment that we came up with it on the fly because that’s what you do.”

Jericho would then explain the difference between his promos in AEW and in WWE.

“In WWE, you have to write the promos, construct them and then you have to get Vince to approve it and then Vince will change whatever he doesn’t like, which he’ll change something because that’s just what he does.”

“A lot of times, you’d spend hours working on this great piece of work and then Vince would hate everything and want to change the most important part but once again, that’s Vince’s world,”
Jericho added.

A clip of Jericho’s conversation on the show is below: