Ring of Honor’s Flip Gordon has finally revealed why he joined Marty Scurll’s Villain Enterprises. Gordon turned heel in siding with Scurll, embracing a new attitude as “The Mercenary.”

In an interview with Ring of Honor, Gordon discussed what Scurll did to convince him to join his stable of resident villains. He also revealed why he decided to decline LifeBlood’s offer, doublecrossing them in the process.

“It simply came down to Villain Enterprises having the better offer, and Marty knew I had multiple offers on the table,” Gordon explained. “However, I had to prove myself to Marty that I could be a villain, and what better way than by putting Lifeblood on life support?”

Gordon then shared how Scurll showed him a merch check from Pro Wrestling Tees. He accompanied it with the promise that he could be making that kind of money, as long as he was willing to become Villain Enterprises’ mercenary.

“He showed me a merch check from Pro Wrestling Tees and said this could be you,” he said. “[Scurll is] a very smart businessman and one of the best wrestlers in the world. So he offered me a position as his understudy.

Reflecting on what happened in his past that helped him embody “The Mercenary,” Gordon pointed to his time in the Army. He confessed they helped make him who he is today, noting that most of ROH’s roster wouldn’t make it through the Army’s basic training.