Cody Rhodes recently had an interview with DallasNews.com where he talked about things like why AEW is not holding Live Events. He also explained his decision to move away from the AEW World Title picture and revealed the reason behind it.

Rhodes first discussed his brother Dustin Rhodes joining him in AEW and mentioned how Dustin has dived right into the coach side of things since joining the promotion.

Talking about his decision to move away from the World title picture, Cody claimed that it was solely his decision and he chose to do so because he didn’t want to face the same criticism as his father:

“It was solely my decision. Tony was not a fan of it, but he understood why I wanted to do it. And I heard both sides of the argument. I don’t want to face any of the criticisms or any of the asterisks that my dad [Dusty Rhodes] faced because they weren’t fair to his legacy.”

Explaining his reasoning behind the move, the American Nightmare said that his father received criticism for being the top star during his time in the Jim Crockett Promotions while also being a booker and he wanted to take a different path:

“When he was with [Jim Crockett Promotions], he made everybody at Crockett rich. Him and Ric Flair were the top stars. When you’re the top stars, they’re what the people wanted to see. But they all received that criticism later on, the political aspect of it. I figured I would just take a different path.”

Cody Rhodes challenged Chris Jericho for the AEW World Championship at the Full Gear PPV and he had announced that he won’t challenge for the title again if he lost the bout.

During the PPV, MJF throwed the towel on behalf of Cody to end the match. However, he then proceeded to attack Rhodes, effectively ending his alliance with the former ROH Champion.