Japanese wrestling legend Jyushin ‘Thunder’ Liger performed in his final bout at Wrestle Kingdom 14. The masked star has had more than 3500 (3551) matches in his illustrious career, and is regarded as one of the pioneers of the Juniors style of professional wrestling.

Liger’s final bout took place on Night 2 of Wrestle Kingdom, where he teamed with Naoki Sano to take on Ryu Lee and Hiromu Takahashi. On Night 1 Liger teamed with Tatsumi Fujinami, The Great Sasuke & Tiger Mask also in a losing effort.

Hiromu Takahashi beat the legend with a TIME BOMB in the centre of the ring. It felt like a fitting end for Liger, who lost his final bout against the present and future of the Juniors division that he helped to pioneer.

Liger wrote the following tweet following his loss on Night 1; “Day 1 of the Tokyo Dome event is over. I went straight to Taguchi and broke down after my match. I’ll change my mindset as I face against Hiromu tomorrow. Thank you for the support. The picture is me with Jurina Matsuri, who cheered me up after my match. I’m happy.”