WWE Hall of Famer Sgt. Slaughter offered up some congratulations to Jon Moxley on social media recently. Slaughter was responding to a thread on Twitter when he also made reference to legal troubles between him and WWE.

“Congrats” on ur life after leaving the Flagship @WWE VERY happy for U, especially since I was the 1st to go up against “The Emperor” & fight for MY FREEDOM. Luckily U got to by pass the lawsuits & courtroom appearances. Wishing U continued sucesss,” Slaughter Tweeted.

Slaughter and Vince McMahon had a falling out of sorts in the mid-80s. There are many reported reasons as to why Slaughter left the company in 1984. One that is detailed in the book “Chokehold: Pro Wrestling’s Real Mayhem Outside the Ring” states that Slaughter and WWF ended up in conflict when Slaughter disputed the amount he was being paid for royalties on merchandise.

Slaughter then trademarked the “Sgt. Slaughter” name, left WWF (or by some accounts was fired) and went back to the AWA. He filed suit against McMahon for merchandise royalties and the two parties settled out of court. There are also reports that Slaughter and WWF were at odds over a deal Slaughter would make with G.I Joe.

Slaughter would eventually return to WWF in 1990 and begin the “Iraqi Sympathizer” angle. He would win the title from the Ultimate Warrior at the 1991 Royal Rumble before dropping it at WrestleMania VII to Hulk Hogan.