A lot of famous WWE superstars have ended up in the company by coincidence and the story of the current United States Champion Apollo Crews is something similar.

The new champion appeared on this week’s episode of WWE Backstage and among other things; he also revealed how music artist Wale and WWE Hall Of Famer Mark Henry played a part in getting him into the company.

Crews explained that the music star messaged him on Twitter after seeing his work. He got in contact with Mark Henry and the WWE Hall Of Famer then arranged a tryout for him:

“Wale messaged me on Twitter about 2013 or something like that. He was like, ‘I just got hip to all your work. I love it. How can we get you in the WWE? At the time, I was just traveling around in England and Japan, just enjoying what I was doing.

He gets in contact with Mark Henry who sees my work and he gets me a tryout.”
recalled Apollo Crews. “A couple of weeks later I get an email from Canyon Ceman saying they want to bring me down to Orlando for a tryout and I was like there’s no way this is real.”

The US Champion took part in a WWE tryout camp in October 2014 and he was then offered a development contract. He reported to the Performance Center in April 2015 and the former NXT star has been a part of the WWE roster ever since.

Apollo Crews made his main roster debut in April 2016. He recently won his first title in WWE, defeating Andrade for the United States Championship at this week’s episode of Raw.