WWE Superstar Mustafa Ali issued an interesting statement on Twitter recently. Ali is a former Chicago area police officer and recently made a comment in reference to George Floyd’s death at the hands of police. According to his comments, Ali became a police officer in order to help change policing from within.

“I’m a former police officer. I joined the force because I believed the only real way to bring change to policing is from within. I remember being told “empathy will get you killed.” No, lack of empathy allows you to kill. We have to change policing from within. #GeorgeFloyd,” reads Mustafa Ali’s Tweet.

And like always, there’s going to be some comment about “you were part of the problem.” No. I saw the problem and did something to combat it. Countless times, I showed up and put a stop to any sort of harassment/excessive force. You can’t change anything sitting behind a screen.

— Mustafa Ali / Adeel Alam (@AliWWE) May 27, 2020

The point of all this is simple; society and specifically our African American brothers and sisters have a justifiable distrust with the police. It’s the responsibility of the police to fix that issue but they won’t. Thus, it is on us,as a society to force that change from within

— Mustafa Ali / Adeel Alam (@AliWWE) May 27, 2020

“As a current police officer, I totally agree. I will continue to support you. Thank you for everything,”
reads one response to Ali’s Tweet.

“I’m a black man and just got my Criminal Justice degree. I’m working to join the force. After this event I was thrown into flux. I nearly gave it up because I “didn’t want to be part of the problem.” You’ve changed that for me Ali. Thank you, I really needed this,” reads another.

Independent wrestler Desmond Monroe noted on Twitter that he has received messages from people stating he’ll lose bookings as a result of his comments about police/race relations. Ali responded to him and offered to cover his booking for Freelance Wrestling.

I’m sorry to hear you’re dealing with that, man. When everything’s back up and running and you feel you speaking up has hurt your bookings, let me know. I’m sure @FreelanceWres would love to have you in. Booking fee covered by me.

Speak up. Rise up.

— Mustafa Ali / Adeel Alam (@AliWWE) May 29, 2020

I genuinely appreciate that man.

Gonna continue to speak up especially in wrestling. Trying to leave this place in a better condition then I found it

— Desmond Monroe (@SlayDezSlay) May 29, 2020